The District of Squamish is ready for LGAW 2012 from May 20-26!
Their press release from May 10 noted: “Local Government Awareness Week is perfectly timed, with Public Works Week activities underway during the same week,” said Mayor Rob Kirkham. “This is a fantastic time to showcase the wide variety of work municipal employees carry out on behalf of Council and to build valuable relationships with residents of all ages.”
Several exciting activities are planned, including:
- Mayor for a Day letter contest for grades 5 – 7 kicks off on May 11th. The winning entry will be chosen on May 17th. The contest winner will be interviewed by local print and radio media reporters, have an opportunity to Co-Chair a Committee of the Whole Meeting on May 22nd and speak with local downtown merchants, enjoy lunch with Council and Student Leadership members from Howe Sound Secondary and receive a t-shirt and Certificate of Recognition. Visit www.squamish.ca for more information.
- A local government trivia contest question will be posted on the District’s website at www.squamish.ca from May 10 to 25. The winner will receive 10 passes to Brennan Recreation Center pool.
- The Public Works Yard Open House is on May 23rd, with elementary school students touring the facility from 9:30am to noon, including lunch with the Mayor at noon. Students will have an opportunity to make flower baskets which will go up for raffle, with proceeds going to the Squamish Food Bank. Students are also encouraged to bring an item for the Squamish Food Bank with them.
- The Public Works Yard is open to the public on May 23rd from 1:00pm to 3:00pm.
- Staff from the District of Squamish will deliver presentations to students in grades 5 to 7 at local elementary schools upon request, the week of May 21 to 25, to share information about local government and the key role citizens play in shaping their community.
The District of Squamish has also generously shared with us a copy of their communications plan, their Mayor for a Day Poster , and their Certificate of Participation for schools taking part in LGAW activities. Have a look at these resources- they might help you in your planning for LGAW!